Friday, June 13, 2008

we the kings


Camera: Canon 5D 1/125 f/10 ISO 200  Lens: 17-40mm f/4.0 USM L

I haven't really been into the band scene since I was in college so I am a bit out of touch.  However, I had a blast photographing the band We The Kings during their acoustic concert at the Louisville Best Buy.  They were kind enough to pose for me outside the store for a few photos.  The acoustic concert was well preformed and though it isn't my personal genre of choice I could appreciate the talent.
Camera: Canon 20D 1/50 f/5.6 ISO 800  Lens: 70-300mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM  
Light: 580 EXII 1/4 power + 2/3 triggered by freeXwire system.

I totally forgot they were coming by the store today and so I had to rush home to grab my gear.  In my rush I forgot my umbrella so the light was a bit harsh ... but for a band harsh works.  I converted my monopod setup into a light stand setup using a tripod to hold the 580 EXII and freeXwire system.  The best part about photographing an event at Best Buy - LOTS OF LENSES!  I tossed a 70-300 IS lens (see photo above) and a 10-22 super wide angle (see photo below) into my camera bag to expand my normal bread and butter of the 17-40mm (still my favorite lens).
Camera: Canon 20D 1/15 f/8  ISO 800  Lens 10-22mm USM  
Light: 580 EXII 1/4 power triggered by freeXwire

The off camera flash gave me really cool lighting patterns.  In the photo above the flash is just behind the people center frame and is casting a nice shadow fwd.  The wide angle lens also allowed me to wrap the crowd around the band.  

No comments: