Monday, May 19, 2008

Internet Anywhere

For some time now I have been playing around with the idea of using an aircard as my primary source of internet.  Now, before anyone jumps up and offers objection understand the following... I AM NOT A GAMER.  That said - my expectations have been under-fulfilled.  I tried the Verizon card and while I got a connection just about everywhere ... I would compare the speed (or lack there of) to that of a dial-up connection.  Next, I took an AT&T card out for a test drive and found the opposite to be true.  I loved the speed at the store; however, I got no signal at home.  Finally I picked up a Sprint card and got a solid combination of coverage and speed.  Saturday I purchased a Sierra Air Card with service through sprint.  For starters, the thing is about the size of a flash drive - making use on my laptop very enjoyable.  Secondly, the speed is fantastic.  Saturday evening I sat down and watched a full screen episode of LOST on ABC.COM over the card with no dropped frames and no interruption.  I ran around Kelby Training and viewed a few classes online with no problems and I just finished uploading today's video tutorial with no problem.  I can't wait to take this on the road with me.  Never having to hunt for a wifi spot again - is it true?  I have only had it for a few days but so far this little card gets the thumbs up as a great addition to my gear.

No comments: