Friday, May 9, 2008

fonts, preferances, documents, photos, AHHHHHHH


Today will be a short post. I am knee deep in moving all my production data from my Apple laptop to my new HP desktop (no comments ... I am still a mac guy - read the earlier post if you haven't already). I equate the experience to cutting your ring finger on something. You put the band aid on and then as you go about the day you suddenly become very aware of how much you use that finger because the band aid is constantly getting in the way or tugging on your finger ... just not any fun. I am amazed at how many small applications, fonts, preference files, backgrounds, etc that we run on any given day. I have been plugging away at the computer transfer for about two afternoon's now and I am still only about 30-40% done with the ordeal. Yesterday I tackled my Lightroom library. I was a little nervous about moving it from a Mac to a PC because file structures are different; however, I didn't run into any major problems. I grabbed the entire pictures folder off of my mac and put it on an external hard drive. Then I connected it to my HP and moved it into the pictures folder on this computer (I had installed Lightroom on the new computer previous to this) and over-wrote the existing Lightroom folder. Upon opening I had to go and tell Lightroom where to find the photos in my library but after about 4 min of fun it was done. Lightroom on a quad-core system ..... SOOOO FAST. I have about 20 thousand images in my library and it takes it like a champ. Anyways, I have to hit the road... I have a big day ahead and still way too much prep work to get done on the new machine. I have a wedding in two weeks so everything needs to be tested and good to go by then.

1 comment:

electronic seal said...

You are right that the number of small applications, fonts, preference files, backgrounds, etc that we run on any given day are quite large and I am not shocked to hear that you have been plugging away at the computer transfer for about two afternoon's now and you are only about 30-40% done.It happened to me too when I shifted in a similar case