Tuesday, November 20, 2007

RENT IT


There is an old saying that you have to spend money to make money. So so how is one expected to make the initial money needed to use in the multiplication of the rest? Photographers experience a similar predicament in regards to equipment. You have to work jobs to buy equipment; however, one needs the equipment to get the job. What is a so what is the solution?

The first piece of advice is to consider the borrow factor. When I shot film I was Nikon through and through. When it came time to move into the digital world my decision to make the move to Canon was based on three factors:

  1. I had sold my film gear a few years back for my wife's engagement ring ... yeah, I know - what can I say, she's worth it.
  2. In my own image tests (comes in handy working in a retail store with access to tons of cameras) showed me that Canon was giving me better image results at higher ISOs
  3. Most of my friends who are established photographers are Canon shooters
Number three was the difference maker for me. The ability to borrow gear meant I could focus more on the investment of the camera body and then save and invest in quality glass. If I had to do it all at once I would have ended up with a decent camera body and a crap kit lens. When making an SLR purchase one should always consider the borrow factor ... it is HUGE

In spite of the great ability to pester your friends for gear ... after a few times it starts to get uncomfortable. You will come to , as I have, the sad realization that you need to buy your own gear. So what is a photographer to do when they are short on green and need a lens? RENT IT.

There are TONS of rental sites out there - shoot, your local camera shop probably rents glass. However, if your shop is anything like mine , they are WAY over priced. Enter rentglass.com. I don't remember exactly how I found this place, but it is the best. Great pricing and super smooth system. First, you hop online and browse the selection (They carry Nikon and Canon). Next pick the lens you wan to rent and add it to your cart. When you are ready, place the order. A few days (exact time depends on your method of shipping) later a box shows up on your doorstep. Inside is the lens. You get the lens for a week (or however long you rented it for) and then when your time is up - slip it in the pre-paid, return shipping bag and drop it off at the nearest post office.
Rentals are generally between $30-$50 a week based on the price and type of lens you rent. You can even purchase insurance for $2.00-$3.00 so you know you are covered in case something happens. This was my first experience with rentglass .com and I can tell you I will be using them again - until I can afford ALL the glass I want ... so I am thinking that will be never. If you need better glass and can't afford to purchase it ... check out rentglass.com they won't let you down.

No comments: